It should come as no surprise to you that liability is a major issue for business owners. Lawsuits can bankrupt a business and the best plan to protect yourself from liability is two pronged: a proactive system for preventing workplace injury and a liability policy to protect you financially should you face a workplace incident.
Here are some ways that you can minimize your liability risk:
- Lighting: inspect the lighting in your business regularly to ensure that you have sufficient lighting. You should also check your emergency lighting system to make sure that it is working and will provide the lighting necessary to keep employees and guests to your business safe.
- Spills and Slips: Be vigilant about spills. Mop up any spill as quickly as possible and make sure to mark wet floors with appropriate signage. Use floor mats in areas like kitchens in which the chances of wet or slippery floors is higher.
- Outdoor Walkways: An often ignored safety hazard, outdoor areas of your building or office must also be assessed for safety. Conduct daily checks for broken glass, potholes, snow and ice.
- Stairs: In addition to ensuring that your stairways are well lit at all times, you need to pay careful attention to stairways as a safety measure. Try adding a non-skid surface to the tops of stairs, and always avoid storing things on stairs or landings.
- Floors and Carpets: Make sure that all carpeted areas are well maintained. Tears, bumps and loose edges all increase the chances of harm. Make sure any doormats are slip resistant and lay flat on the floor.
- Other Tips: Check refrigerators for water leaks. Make certain that trash is always properly disposed of and avoid letting trash receptacles overflow. Avoid using extension cords, especially across the span of a room.
Protect your Business. Get a Business Insurance Quote today!
Join our Monthly "Insurance Insights' Newsletter.
We at Donahue-Stangle-Brown Insurance Agency are an independent insurance agency that represents several insurance companies here in Ohio since 1948. Let us do your insurance shopping for you. We offer a wide range from auto insurance,home insurance, business insurance, business auto insurance, life insurance and farm insurance. Please contact one of our professionals today at 740-998-5544 in Frankfort or 937-981-2272 in Greenfield. You are also welcome to contact us via EMAIL.