Collectible cars and trucks, both vintage and classic, are different from everyday cars in the sense that they often appreciate in value over time. Hoursof time are typically spent restoring and adding custom parts, engine modifications and paint jobs to these cars. Because of this, collectible cars and trucks need specialized insurance to cover the “agreed value,” or the entire value of your car and customizing/restoring efforts.
Which types of cars are eligible for this specialized policy? Below is a list of generalizations, but the qualifications for this type of insurance vary between providers.
- Vintage (or antique) cars are at least 20 years old and must be as close to original condition as possible.
- Classic cars are between 15 and 20 years old and also must be as close to original condition as possible.
- Modified vehicles are classic cars that have been altered substantially from their original condition.
Car collectors tend to take excellent care of their vehicles, which are typically driven less (and stored more often) than everyday cars. Given this fact, vintage car insurance is frequently cheaper than a regular auto policy due to the lower risk of spending less time on the road. However, just because you don’t drive your vintage car every day, does not mean you should forgo insuring it.
Just like with ordinary cars, collectible cars are subject to collisions, damage and theft. The difference is that rather than repairing airbags and crushed bumpers, some bigger (and more expensive) concerns include custom paint, restored wood, leather furnishings, and custom-made parts.
Speak with an independent agent at Donahue-Stangle-Brown Insurance Agency about the specific needs of collectible cars and the types of coverage you will need to protect your investment. We recommend Hagerty Insurance for your classic car and truck insurance. Why Hagerty? They are as passionate about cars as you are! A few benefits with Hagerty are as follows:
- Guaranteed Value Coverage - In the event of a covered total loss, you receive every cent of your car’s insured value.* No depreciation. No messing around. No hassle.
- Flexible Usage - Our policy allows you occasional pleasure use with no fixed mileage restrictions**. With Hagerty, you can go for a weekenddrive, take your vehicle up to the local ice cream shop or attend unlimited events and cruises.
- Hagerty Plus Roadside Service and Benefits - Hagerty Plus® is designed specifically for collector cars. It is a comprehensive 24/7 full service roadside assistance program for lockouts, battery jumps, tire changes, emergency fuel delivery and more — guaranteeing flatbed towing with soft straps.
- Expert Claims Handling - Our job is protecting your collector car, and we're very good at our job. In the event of a claim, we offer stock original replacement parts to ensure your investment is covered and your car is restored to its former glory. We even have a parts specialist on staff to hunt down rare and hard to find parts.
- You Will Save Money - Because we specialize in collector car insurance, our premiums are up to 42% lower* than daily driver insurance.
- Unparalleled Service and Knowldedge - We know collectible cars, so you deal with real people who understand your car and your needs.
Hagerty isn't just limited to classic cars and trucks. They also provide classic insurance for boats, motorcycles and motorsports coverage for the classic cars that race.